FIRST = For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology
FIRST LEGO League (FLL) is an exciting and fun global robotics program,designed to ignite an enthusiasm for discovery of the basic principles of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) in children, ages 9 to 14.
Each year, FLL teams of 3 to 10 children, embark on an adventurous challenge, based on a current, real-world issue.
This year's theme is FOOD FACTOR!
||Guided by a team coach and assisted by mentors, students:
Using the yearly challenges, FLL:
- Research and solve a real-world problem around the challenge theme
- Present the team's research and innovative solutions
- Build and program an autonomous robot out of LEGO elements and the Mindstorms kit, using engineering concepts
- Encourages kids to think like scientists and engineers
- Provides a fun, creative, hands-on learning experience
- Teaches team members to experiment and overcome obstacles
- Builds self-esteem and confidence
- Inspires kids to participate in science and technology
No matter what the child’s subject interest, FLL offers an opportunity for engagement. Whether it is by creativity, technology or research, FLL dares kids to test, explore, expand, or completely change their thinking about the different sciences.
FLL program costs per team:
a) National Registration ($225) and required season field set up kit ($75) via weblink - gofll.usfirst.org
b) Hawai'i FLL district tournament fee - $50 payable via PayPal when registering for a district event
c) Hawai'i FLL Championship fee - $100 payable via PayPal when registering for the championshp